The purpose of this assignment is to gain insight about your thought process and your approach to solving accessibility challenges in a real world situation.
Out of respect for your time and to better understand how you think, we ask that you take no more than two hours to complete this assignment.
Create a list of accessibility improvements for the provider search tool that is part of the Healthcare.gov ‘Window Shopping tool’ available at: healthcare.gov/see-plans/
The provider search tool enables users to search for Medical providers (such as doctors), Medical facilities, and prescription drugs to add to their temporary window shopping search for insurance plans. Once added, consumers can then quickly determine which plans cover their doctors, medical facilities, or prescription drugs.
Using the steps below, document 2-5 accessibility improvements (user stories, or plain text bullet points) that you would recommend be made to this section of the Window Shopping application. These can improve either Section 508 compliance, or overall accessibility experience for a consumer visiting the site with assistive technology.
Please use the following steps to get to the section of the tool you'll be working on, then make recommendations for accessibility improvements to the provider search section.
- Go to healthcare.gov/see-plans/
- Enter ZIP code 60647
- For “Who’s in your household, enter “just you”
- For “Tell us about you”, enter an age and sex, leaving the other items unchecked
- Choose “continue” on “Confirm your household members"
- Enter an income amount
- Choose “Continue” on the “Estimated savings overview” page
- Choose "Continue to Plans" on the "Review your information" page
- Choose "Close" on the "Help comparing plans" pop-up modal.
- Click ”See if providers & drugs are covered". Enter a prescription drug (Ibuprofen, for example) or the name of a doctor (Smith, for example), then view results.
Note the changes made in the browser when search results are displayed, as well as when doctors, prescription drugs and medical facilities are added or removed from your list. Provide a list of recommendations to make this page more accessible.
These should include (but are not limited to) improvements to:
- Visual to the UI (CSS, visual elements)
- Technical changes: HTML, JS, ARIA attributes, other
Submission recommendations should be made in the provided changes.md file. Please use the three sections provided in this file to structure your response. Please be as specific as possible, using code snippets wherever appropriate to document your changes.