Take the next step to join Ad Hoc
Once you've applied for an open position, try one of our homework assignments.
Start with one assignment. We'll ask you for more if your first submission passes our review. Read each assignment carefully for important information on completing each problem.
We want to see how you approach the problem, understand what's being asked, and solve it. This is only the first stage in our hiring process, so please don't feel pressure to demonstrate every skill you have.
- DO submit the homework as if you were giving it to a coworker for code review.
- DO aim for a clear and concise MVP for your solution.
- DO follow directions and solve just the problem in front of you. There's no need to over-engineer the solution.
- DON'T submit multiple solutions. Choose the approach and language you feel is best.
- DON'T include unit tests. We won't run them.
- DON'T worry about handling arbitrary input, unless the assignment explicitly requires input validation.
Multiple engineers will review your homework. We assign submissions a random number so our team doesn't know whose homework they're grading. This lets us grade without any preconceived notions of abilities and ensures the first evaluation is based solely on the solution you deliver.
Read about why we use homework for recruiting.
Use the chat button in the lower right to contact us if you get stuck or have a question. We'll reply as soon as we can. If you submit the question outside the hours of 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. (ET), visit this page later to check for a reply.
We think a good developer asks questions sooner rather than later. We are happy to help guide you to the right solution.